Friday, September 10, 2021

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

   

Book Blurb:

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh.

Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.


Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha . . . and the secrets of her heart.

  

The Schwartz Review:


I must admit, I watched the first few episodes of Netflix's Shadow & Bone. As soon as I realized that it was going to be GOOD, I stopped. I wanted to read the books first, and so I waited until I could purchase them. Trust me, I was not disappointed. 

Credit unknown

I heard a shrill wail and watched in horror as a soldier was lifted from his feet and carried into the air, kicking and struggling.

This book had plenty of action. There's danger, romance, and an epic battle with good versus evil. What's even better is that Alina is a character for which you can root. She leads a difficult life, but she perseveres. Never giving up. 

I raised my hand and rested it on his stubbly cheek, gently turning his face to mine.

There's enough mystery to keep you flipping those pages. I saw the ending coming a few chapters early, but it was still such a joy to read.

The Recommendation:

The classic good versus evil with magic, war, and a deathly sea of shadow splitting the land and dividing its people. If you enjoy Fantasy, YA, Magic, with a splash of Romance, then you'd probably enjoy this read.

No comments:

Post a Comment