Friday, September 17, 2021

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

    

Book Blurb:

Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold,
Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land, all while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. But she can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.


The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her—or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.

  

The Schwartz Review:


I couldn't wait to dive into this book, even if I saw the ending of the previous book coming chapters ahead of time. I am thoroughly invested in Alina Starkov's story, and how the land will be saved from the Fold that has torn it apart for ages.

"Where's Mal?" I rasped, my throat still rusty.
The Darkling didn't turn, but shook his head and said, "You're predictable, at least."

Img Src: https://pojainter.tumblr.com/
Img Src: https://pojainter.tumblr.com/

Alina's life is not her own to lead at this point and throughout this book, she struggles to maintain balance in a world that constantly throws her off her feet. A plethora of characters fill these pages, and she must decide which of them are allies and which are foes dressed as ally.

"Power is alliance," said Nikolai. "It's everyone's business." He took another sip of wine as I glared at him in disbelief. "And you should be wearing your own colors."

As I headed toward the finale of the second in this trilogy, I already mourn when this story will truly finish. I don't want to stop reading these lively characters. They're so well-rounded that I swear they're real, and their lives are so dramatic and rich with plot that I never want to stop reading about them.

Mal and I burst from the palace and careened down the marble steps. A screech of twisting metal rent the air.

Whereas I saw the ending of book one coming, I am pleased to report that I did not see the ending of book two coming. It was SHOCKING, and I immediately grabbed for the third book upon finishing. 

The Recommendation:

The classic good versus evil with magic, war, and a deathly sea of shadow splitting the land and dividing its people. If you enjoy Fantasy, YA, Magic, with a splash of Romance, then you'd probably enjoy this read.

No comments:

Post a Comment