Monday, September 6, 2021

The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black

  

Book Blurb:

He will be destruction of the crown and the ruination of the throne.

Power is much easier to acquire than it is to hold onto. Jude learned this lesson when she released her control over the wicked king, Cardan, in exchange for immeasurable power.

Now as the exiled mortal Queen of Faerie, Jude is powerless and left reeling from Cardan’s betrayal. She bides her time determined to reclaim everything he took from her. Opportunity arrives in the form of her deceptive twin sister, Taryn, whose mortal life is in peril.

Jude must risk venturing back into the treacherous Faerie Court, and confront her lingering feelings for Cardan, if she wishes to save her sister. But Elfhame is not as she left it. War is brewing. As Jude slips deep within enemy lines she becomes ensnared in the conflict’s bloody politics.

And, when a dormant yet powerful curse is unleashed, panic spreads throughout the land, forcing her to choose between her ambition and her humanity…


  

The Schwartz Review:


The finale of this series consumed the greater part of my long weekend, but I could not put this book down. By the end of The Wicked King, you fully understand why Black has titled the third book in her trilogy in this way, and the reader is successfully hooked. 

And if I curse Cardan, then I have to curse myself, too, for being the fool who walked right into the trap he set for me.

Jude has lost everything she's worked toward and begins this tale in the mortal realm, using the one thing that can never be taken from her. Her shadow skills. Thanks to Dain, Jude is an excellent spy, and even in the mortal realms there is no end to spy work.

Img Src: JEMLIN CREATIONS

Tonight it seems impossible that I was ever anyone other than this dutiful child.

But moping about in the mortal realm is unlike the Jude we've come to love and adore. Before long, she is given the opportunity she's been waiting for and she dives back into the world of faerie. And when she does... It's one heck of an adventurous ride!

"...Only tell me the way, and I will do it, no matter the danger, no matter the hardship, no matter the cost."

This tale brought me laughter, it brought me to tears with bittersweet moments, and it definitely held my attention easily as I devoured the finale in a matter of days. I try to write spoiler free reviews, and this is one of those stories you will be happy to discover every truth, scheme, and ploy Black twined together to form this magnificence. 

The Recommendation:

If you love fantasy stories, faeries, a world full of danger, 
and a possible enemies to lovers tale, 
then this is a read you don't want to miss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment